What are Torridge District Council doing?
Action to date:
- Solar panels on our main building at Riverbank House. The 39 kw of panels generates approximately 27,000 kWh pa which is used internally and exported back to the grid. The roof at Riverbank House has also had its insulation upgraded for added heat efficiency.
- Solar panels at Caddsdown - 24KW of panels generates approximately 21,000 kWh pa. Woodchip Biomass boilers are also installed at Caddsdown and Caddsdown Blue.
- An electric vehicle charging point at Riverbank House and we are rolling out EV charging points in our public car parks and 55KW rapid charging units have so far been installed in Bideford, Torrington, Holsworthy and Appledore.
- Major refurbishments at our leisure facilities in Northam, Holsworthy and Torrington Pools included heat recovery and air conditioning systems replacing old inefficient plant.
- Solar powered Car Park meters have been installed at our main car parks.
- Our construction schemes at Caddsdown and Tamar have won multiple sustainability awards and works have been undertaken at all of our commercial sites to improve energy efficiency standards.
- TDC have purchased their first electric fleet vehicle, while all our waste vehicles comply with the latest Euro engine standards and we are committed to including electric and other sustainable options when on renewal of any Council vehicle.
- We completed the refurbishment of out Northam Burrows Visitor Centre, materials were reused where possible or upgraded to better insulation properties to add to the overarching green environmental approach adopted for the project, with significant carbon savings per year.
- We are carrying out energy surveys of the properties we own, to identify opportunities for improving energy efficiency and installing renewable energy.