Toggle menu

Advice for mobile establishments



Mobile food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and mobile food vehicles) must register with the local council in the area where the vehicle is stored overnight.

You are required to register your food business at least 28 days before trading.

Where you can trade

If you wish to trade on private land, you will need the land owner's permission.

If you intend to trade on the public highway you will need to contact Devon County Council Highways.

Torridge District Council Land

The Council licences a number of hot and cold food concessions on its land throughout the District. In principle, such licences are only permitted via Committee approval and requests must be made in writing for consideration of a proposal on Council Land. Occasionally pitches are publicly tendered after an initial trial period for new sites. Currently, the Council has licensed pitches at Westward Ho! (Promenade and Northam Burrows) and Bideford (Quay).

The Council does not permit trading from Car Parks.

If you require any information on the existing pitches, please contact our Property Team on 01237 428738.

Do I need a late night refreshment licence?

You will need a late night refreshment licence if you supply hot food or hot drink to the public at any time between the hours of 11pm and 5am Please contact the Licensing Team on 01237 428700 or email

Food hygiene advice

See further information on Mobile Vehicle Requirement (PDF) [91KB]

Gas safety

You should get your vehicle checked by a competent person who is on the Gas Safe Register, you should check that the engineer is qualified to work on mobile catering van LPG appliances. We would expect to see a gas safety certificate provided by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

See further information on   Gas Safety in Mobile Vehicles (PDF) [2MB]

Street advertising

Any poster or sign which advertises your businesses in the street requires 'Advertisement Consent' from our Planning Team. You can contact them on 01237 428700 or email

Preventing a nuisance

You must take care to prevent nuisance from noise, cooking odours and waste. Failure to do so can lead to legal action by the Council.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email