Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA)
Status: Finalised Evidence
Author: Housing Vision Consultancy
Date: December 2008 / December 2012 (Update)
The purpose of the Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) is to provide an insight in to the operation of the local housing markets, as they function now and how they will operate in the future. This has been achieved through focusing on the following five key questions:
- how can the Housing Market Area for the northern Peninsula be defined?
- who lives in the area? How might this change, and what are the implications for determining the future need and demand for housing in the area?
- what choices do consumers have in the housing market? What are the gaps in the pattern of supply and how affordable is local housing?
- what is the projected future requirement for housing, including affordable housing? And
- what are the implications of this analysis for intervening in the local housing market?
The results of the Strategic Housing Market Assessment will inform the development plan process by forming an important part of the evidence base that will support the preparation of the Council's Local Plan. The intention is that the new North Devon and Torridge Local Plan will be able to fulfil a more strategic housing enabling role, based on a better understanding of all housing needs across the district area.
North Devon and Torridge SHMA Update (2012)
Housing Vision were commissioned in early 2012 to carry out an update to the 2008 Northern Peninsula SHMA to cover North Devon and Torridge. The update was completed in December 2012.
The Strategic Housing Market Assessment: North Devon and Torridge Update is available to download:
Northern Peninsula SHMA (2008)
Torridge District Council worked in partnership with North Devon Council, West Somerset Council, Exmoor National Park Authority and Devon County Council in the preparation of the Strategic Housing Market Assessment for the Northern Peninsula Housing Market Area. This comprehensive Assessment was prepared by Housing Vision and completed in 2008.
The Strategic Housing Market Assessment for the Northern Peninsula is available to download:
If you would like further information on the Strategic Housing Market Assessment please feel free to with the Planning Policy Team.