Toggle menu

Bring photo ID to vote

Check what photo ID you'll need to vote in person in the General Election on 4 July.

Licences to undertake events on Council land

An event in this instance is an organised activity that undertakes a purpose on Council land for which that land use is not usually intended, for example a circus in a park.

Licence icon


The Council is able to receive documentation on any working day*1.

You will need to submit an application form with supporting documentation at least 56 days before the event takes place.

For larger events of over 500 people, additional notice will be greatly appreciated.

These deadlines are to ensure that our officers can fulfil our legal obligations and conduct the necessary consultations & checks.

If all required documentation is not received at least 56 days before the proposed event date, your application will be denied and the event will not be authorised*².

If an Event Licence has not been signed and returned to the Council at least 10 working days*¹ before the date of the corresponding event, the licence offer will be void and the event will not be authorised*².

Licence fee

Please note that all applications are subject to a non-refundable administrative charge of £55.00 including VAT (Other charges may apply, please see the Council's Fees & Charges for details). This payment does not guarantee that a licence will be granted and by making this payment you are not entering into any agreement with the Local Authority. Event fees apply depending on the size and duration of your event, although there are exceptions for charities.

You will also need to include a plan of your event layout.  Download one of our site plans and use it to outline the area you need for your event, including access points for the public and vehicles.  Include the site plan with your application.

Public liability insurance

You must have Public Liability Insurance to hold a public event.  You will need to provide evidence of your insurance this needs a minimum cover of £5 million as well as permission to use this insurance.

Music at your event

If you plan to perform music at your event, you will need a PRS Licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS).  For more information go to the PRS website or call 0800 068 4828.

When you have your PRS Licence, you will then need to complete our PRS form (above) and include it in your event application.

Events at Quay Car Park and Fisherman's Wharf

Please note that the Quay Car Park and Fisherman's Wharf form part of the Working Quay in Bideford. As such, while every effort will be made to reduce the type and amount of items remaining within the event boundary, event organisers must accept that this will not always be possible. Please note that the Council will not issue refunds to event organisers at these sites if equipment or vehicles are in situ due to the operations of the Working Quay. Please see the related documents section of this webpage for a diagram of the Bideford Working Quay.

Other licensed activities

If you plan to have music, dancing, or similar entertainment, or want to sell alcohol at your event, you will need to apply for either a premises licence or temporary event notice. If collecting for charity you will need a street collection permit.  For more details go to our Licensing pages.

Contact us

If you need help completing your application or need more information, contact our Events Team on 01237 424244 or email us at


*¹ The Torridge District Council working week is Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. The Council is also closed on public holidays and during the Christmas / new year period. Information supplied outside of the working week, on public holidays, or during the Council's annual Christmas / new year closure will be considered as being received on the next working day.

*² Torridge District Council is under no legal obligation to allow any event to take place on its land until a valid Licence to Occupy has been signed and returned. The Council accepts no liability for costs associated with any event on Council Land unless a Licence to Occupy has been signed & returned for that event.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email