District Council Vacancies
If a seat becomes vacant on the District Council, the appropriate local authority is required to give public notice. The Returning Officer will fix the date of the election as follows:-
- in a case in which the High Court or the Council have declared the office to be vacant, within 35 computed days from the date of the declaration; and
- in any other case, within 35 computed days of a written request for an election to be held. The request must be given to the Proper Officer of the authority, by two local government electors for the area.
If a vacancy arises within six months of the date on which that councillor's term of office expires, the election will take place at the next ordinary election. The only exception to this six month rule is where the total number of unfilled vacancies on the Council exceeds one third of the total membership of the Council.
CURRENT DISTRICT COUNCIL VACANCIES
NORTHAM WARD - ELECTION OF A DISTRICT COUNCILLOR - 9 DECEMBER 2021
1. Nomination papers must be delivered to the Returning Officer, Riverbank House, Bideford, Devon, EX39 2QG on any day after the date of this notice but no later than 4pm on Friday, 12th November 2021.
2. Nomination papers may be obtained from the offices of the Returning Officer, Riverbank House, Bideford, Devon, EX39 2QG, during the times stated above. Please phone 01237 428739 to arrange.
3. If any election is contested the poll will take place on Thursday, 9th December 2021.