Reduce your Council Tax
Discount for people who are receiving care in their own home
In some circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of people in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a Carer's Discount to reduce your bill by 25%.
The live-in carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week and they must not be:
- the partner of the person who is being cared for; or
- the child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18.
The person being cared for must also get one of these benefits:
- The middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
- Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an industrial injury
Apply for Carer's Discount
Email - scan it and send it to us at email@example.com
Post it to - Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford, Devon, EX39 2QG
Can't print the form? Call us on 01237 428900 and we'll send you one.
After you've applied for the discount
You must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.
We periodically check accounts that have been granted discounts and exemptions. If we contact you to review your discount and we don't hear back from you, we will cancel it.
You must tell us if there is a change in your circumstances that may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.