Discretionary Payment Scheme

What are Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Payments?

They are for people who live in Torridge.  They are paid by Torridge District Council.

If you live in another area please apply to your local council.

These payments can help if you are:

  • struggling to pay your rent or council tax and
  • you have unusual or extreme circumstances which are causing hardship or
  • you are having particular difficulty because of the effects of the under occupation rules for council and housing association tenants or the benefit cap rules.

There are no rules that give anyone a right to a payment. But we may be able to pay you if we believe that you need extra financial support.

The following questions and answers should help you in deciding what to do next. If you still have questions after reading what is set out below, please do not hesitate in contacting the benefits team.