Variations to premises licences

Apply to vary a premises licence if you want to alter existing activities or operating times.

There are certain circumstances that will require the licence holder to make an application to change their licence.

There are two types of variation. A minor variation and a full variation.

Minor Variation

Minor variations will generally fall into four categories:

  • Minor changes to the structure or layout of the premises
  • Small adjustments to licensing hours
  • Removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or addition of conditions volunteered by applicant
  • Addition of certain licensable activities (except supply of alcohol) or removal of activities.

Variations to:

  • add the retail sale of alcohol to a licence
  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol for consumption on or off the premises between 23.00 and 07.00, or
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold or supplied for consumption on or off the premises

are excluded from the minor variations process and must be treated as full variations. However, applications to reduce hours for the sale/supply of alcohol or to move (without increasing) the licensed hours between 07.00 and 23.00 will normally be treated as a minor variation.

In all cases, the test will be whether the proposed variation could impact adversely on the licensing objectives. We may consult the relevant Responsible Authority about your application and, if we do so, we will have regard to their comments. If the licensing authority is of the opinion that the variation will adversely affect the objectives, the application will be refused. There is no right of appeal but your fee will be refunded.

If you wish to apply for a minor variation of a premises licence/club premises certificate, you will need to provide:

  • a completed application form  pdf icon Application for minor variation [288kb]

  • a copy of the plan (if the proposed variation affects the layout of the premises),

  • the original premises licence or club premises certificate (paper copy not laminated summary), and

  • the fee (£89)

Full Variation

Any changes to a premises licence or club premises certificate which do not meet the criteria for a minor variation must be applied for by way of a 'full' variation of the existing authorisation. For example, the inclusion of the supply of alcohol as a new licensable activity or the extension of hours for the sale of alcohol beyond 23.00 would require a full variation.

You cannot use an application to vary a premises licence or club premises certificate to

  • extend a time limited licence or certificate, or
  • to substantially alter the premises.

Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis but, as a general rule, any substantial alteration will require a new application.

To apply for a full variation of a premises licence or a club premises certificate you will need to provide: