Your data: Council Tax
Service Specific Privacy Notice - Council Tax
This notice contains service specific privacy information and should be read in conjunction with our pages detailing privacy information common to all service areas, such as how to contact the Data Protection Officer, Exercising of Your Rights, Data Storage and Retention and Feedback and Complaints.
Lawful Basis for Processing of Personal Data
The Data Protection Act requires that personal data is collected and processed only where there is a lawful basis to do so. The lawful basis' which applies in this instance are as follows:
Legal Obligation - the processing is necessary for the Council to comply with the law.
Lawful Basis for Processing of Special Category Personal Data
In some cases it may be necessary for us to collect hold and process information of a more sensitive nature. Where this is the case, the lawful basis for us to do so is as follows:
Substantial Public Interest - the processing is aimed at supporting disadvantaged members of society. Processing is proportionate, deemed to be of public interest when considered nationally and has a basis in UK law.
Purpose of Processing Personal information
We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:
- Administering the assessment and collection of taxes.
- Maintaining our own accounts and records.
Please note that in order to comply with current legislation your data may also be used for:
- Data matching under local and national fraud initiatives.
- Crime prevention and the prosecution of offenders.
Personal Data Collected From Third Parties (delete if not applicable)
Please note that the following information:
- Tenancy details;
- Financial information;
- Health and wellbeing information.
May be obtained from third parties such as:
- Healthcare, social and welfare bodies.
To ensure that the council provides you with an efficient and effective service we will sometimes need to share your information between teams within the council.
We may also share information with third parties that support the delivery of the services you receive or where we are legally obliged to do so. Information we hold may be shared with the following types of organisation:
- Other Local Authorities
- Family associates or representatives
- Current past and prospective employers
- Healthcare, social and welfare organisations
- Debt collection and tracing agents
- Financial organisations (for example when processing of BACS transactions)
- Ombudsman and regulatory authorities
- Press and media (for example following a successful prosecution for non payment)
- Courts, Tribunals and Prisons
- Credit reference agencies, (for example during data matching to verify claims for single person's discount
- Police Forces
- Housing Associations and Landlords
- Voluntary and Charity organisations
- Partner agencies, (for example organisations involved in safeguarding investigations)
- Legal representatives and defence solicitors
We will only ever share your information if we are satisfied that our partners or suppliers have sufficient measures in place to protect your information in the same way that we do.
We will never share your information for marketing purposes.
Obligation to Provide Personal Data
Please note that there is a statutory requirement to provide your personal information in respect of this service
Any failure to provide your personal information may prevent or delay us meeting our statutory requirements or in providing you with a timely and effective service.
Automated Decision Making
There are no automated decision making processes used in the provision of this service.