I want to hold a raffle at my village fete. Do I need a special licence?

No. Provided the raffle is being held as incidental to a non-commercial event (e.g. a fete, jumble sale etc.) and the proceeds are going to a good cause, a licence would not be required. However, there are certain restrictions

  • No more than £500 may be deducted from the proceeds for prizes.
  • No more than £100 may be deducted for expenses (e.g. purchase/printing of tickets)
  • there can be no 'rollover' of prizes
  • tickets may only be sold at the premises during the event and the result must be announced while the event takes place.