Boat and Boatmen's Licences

The Council operates a licensing scheme for pleasure boats to operate in the Torridge estuary. Applicants are advised to consult the "information for applicants" document and the Authority's Licensing Policy for Small Commercial Vessels before making a formal application. These can be viewed or downloaded from this page.

The Torridge Estuary is defined as waters within a line bearing 200 degrees from the lighthouse at Crow Point to the shore at Skern Point.  Vessels are licensed  in accordance with the MCA Inland Waters Small Passenger Boat Code and the 'Recommendations and Regulations Affecting the Licensing and Operation of Small Craft' issued by the South West Regional Standing Committee on Safety of Small Craft.

The Council can license vessels which carry up to 12 passengers.  If your vessel has capacity for more than 12 passengers, you will need to apply to the Maritime and Coastguard agency for a licence.

See fees and charges at http://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/12721/Financial-Services-Publications

The Council will attach conditions to Licences.

If you wish to apply for a Pleasure Boat Licence, your vessel will require inspection by a qualified marine surveyor or other person authorised by the Council to ensure it is seaworthy. The surveyor/authorised person will make a charge for this.  You will also need to have minimum Public Liability insurance cover of £3,000,000.

If you wish to skipper a vessel licensed by the Council, you will need to submit a separate application for a Boatman's Licence.  You will be required to undergo a test of your competence as a boatman and have a medical examination with your GP.  Your GP will make a charge for this.

Operator Licences cover a particular category of vessel and will apply to those offering a variety of marine pursuits and will cover self-drive hire businesses as well as the hire of canoes, pedaloes, jet skis, sailboards etc. 

Further information on boat licences is available in our guidance notes: "Information for Applicants" (see download on the right).

You may Apply Online by clicking Apply Online Here or via the Related Links to the right of this page.