Who can't get Housing Benefit?

You cannot get Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:

  • You are getting Universal Credit. If you get Universal Credit, your housing costs (help with your rent) are included in that.
  • You pay rent to a close relative who lives with you.
  • You live in a care home, nursing home or elderly persons' home.
  • You rent a home from your ex-partner and you both used to live there.
  • You are the parent or guardian of your landlord's child.
  • You live in the home as part of your job.
  • You are an asylum seeker who has not been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave to remain in the UK.
  • You have been admitted to the UK on condition that you have 'no recourse to public funds'. However, if you are part of a couple and your partner is allowed to claim, they should make the claim for you both.
  • You are a sponsored immigrant who has lived here for less than five years.
  • You are in the UK illegally or your permission to stay has run out.

You may not get Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:

  • You used to live with your landlord as a family member, relative or friend and now pay that person rent.
  • You live in a property that is run by a religious order of which you are a member.
  • You rent from a trust and you are a trustee or beneficiary of the trust.
  • You rent the property from a company of which you are a director or employee.
  • You used to own the property which you now rent.
  • You are a student.
  • As an adult you have lived with a tenant (other than your partner) in the same property and the tenancy has now been changed into both your names. It depends on why the change was made.