Services A to Z
Text Size
Text size: normal Text size: large Text size: extra large
In order to use Google Translation, you must first accept widget cookies via Privacy Settings below

In order to use AddThis Toolbar, you must first accept social cookies via Privacy Settings below

Print Friendly and PDF



Planning A Community Event

If you wish to hold a special community event, there are a number of things you will need to consider depending on the nature and size of your event. For example, you may need permission to close local streets in your village for a carnival or you may need to apply for licences to carry out certain activities. You can obtain most of this information by clicking on the website links on this page.

The key to holding a successful community event is to plan well ahead.  There are legal timescales for many applications which you will need to comply with.  If you intend to run a large event (500+ people), you should start planning 6 months in advance and make sure you contact the relevant authorities for advice.

If your event is to be held on private land you will need permission from the landowner.  If you wish to use Council land for your event then, in the first instance, you should contact our Culture and Leisure Services Team (tel: 01237-428743/428737) to discuss your proposal.

If your planned event involves the sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshment you may - depending on the number of people attending - need to give a Temporary Event Notice or to apply for a premises licence.  Further information is available here.

If you are planing to hold a street party, you will need to apply to Devon County Council for a road closure order at least 6 weeks in advance of your event.  Further information is available on the County Council website at

The Department for Communities and Local Government has published useful guidance about street parties which can be viewed at

If you need further help with planning your event, please contact us.