Planning policy provides the framework that will guide and control the development of land and buildings in the area and sets out proposals as to how it should develop in the future. The policies are then used to assess planning applications and to decide what development is appropriate.
The Planning Policy Team are responsible for preparing, maintaining and giving advice on a wide range of documents including both the adopted Torridge District Local Plan and the new North Devon and Torridge Local Plan.
The team also manage the preparation of development briefs to set out how important sites should be developed. They also maintain a wide ranging evidence base to ensure that development proposals are reasonable and appropriate.
If you have any queries or questions in relation to planning policy in Torridge, or the work that the team carry out, please feel free to get in touch.
Public Consultation ~ 26th June - 8th August 2014 - now closed
Public consultation concluded on the following documents on 8th August 2014. Progress is now being made to process the received comments, which as achieved will become accessible through the following links:
- North Devon and Torridge Local Plan: Publication Draft
- North Devon and Torridge Local Plan: Sustainability Appraisal
- Statement of Community Involvement: North Devon
- Statement of Community Involvement: Torridge
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Draft Charging Schedule: North Devon
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Draft Charging Schedule: Torridge
Public Consultation ~ 6th August - 19th September 2014
A six week period of public consultation commenced on 6th August 2014, which provides an opportunity for comment on a proposed Neighbourhood Plan Area for Great Torrington.
Planning Policy News
- Local Development Scheme
- Consultation on Draft North Devon and Torridge Local Plan
- North Devon and Torridge Retail and Leisure Assessment 2012
- Torridge Town Studies - Bideford, Great Torrington, Holsworthy and Northam
- Adopted Council Wind Energy Policy
- Joint Landscape Character Assessment
- Landscape Sensitivity Assessment
- Consultation on Draft Torridge Statement of Community Involvement
- Consultation on the Torridge Community Infrastructure Levy Draft Charging Schedule
Draft Local Plan (2011-2031)
All councils are required to produce a local plan with the aim of providing a more flexible planning system that adapts to changing priorities and which seeks to secure sustainable development.
The local plan sets out how we will plan the future development of North Devon and Torridge districts. It will guide new developments to appropriate locations, while protecting our natural environment and built heritage, and provides guidance on how to submit planning applications.
The local plan is shaped by the government's National Planning Policy Framework, the top tier of planning policy. The framework provides guidance to local authorities and other agencies on planning policy and the operation of the planning system.
The Publication Draft of the North Devon and Torridge Local Plan is available for consultation from the 26th June 2014 - 8th August 2014.
Planning policy and in particular, the Local Plan, must be based on up to date and robust information. This is to ensure that any policies and proposals have a sound basis. The Planning Policy Team manage a comprehensive evidence base to support the preparation of the Local Plan.
Adopted Development Plan (including Torridge District Local Plan 1997-2011)
The Development Plan is the main consideration against which planning proposals are determined. It is made up of a number of documents, including the Local Plan, and is prepared by Torridge District Council and other organisations.