Services A to Z
Text Size
Text size: normal Text size: large Text size: extra large
In order to use Google Translation, you must first accept widget cookies via Privacy Settings below

In order to use AddThis Toolbar, you must first accept social cookies via Privacy Settings below

Related Articles

Related Links


Print Friendly and PDF



Parks and Open Spaces

Torridge District Council maintains a number of parks, woodland, play areas, open spaces and amenity areas throughout the district.

Torridge Parks

Please use the interactive map below to access details of Torridge's Parks. Information about each park can be accessed by clicking on the green trees. Please note that some parks are owned by Town Council's (where indicated) and you should contact them directly with any queries, complaints or maintenance issues

View Torridge Parks in a larger map

Pitch Hire

The Council has various sporting pitches that are available to hire. These prices include VAT at 20%. However, For block bookings of 10 with no more than a two-week gap between each date, then charges become exempt of VAT. The current fees are:

Football Pitches               £39.12
Victoria Park Pavilion     £9.12
Rugby Pitch                      £40.74
Cricket Grass Wicket       £46.50
Cricket Artificial Wicket   £15.60
Standard Youth Hire          £12.00

For further information on hiring our facilities please contact the Leisure Services Team on (01237) 428736 / 428737 or email:

Play Areas and Open Spaces

Torridge District Council maintain a number of areas of Play Areas and Public Open Spaces in the area. A full list of these are available in the related downloads on the right hand side of this page. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further information about any of these sites. Some play areas and open spaces may still be the responsibility of a private developer. They will only become the responsibility of the Council should the developer approach us to have them adopted. We will only adopt play areas and open spaces if they are up to an "adoptable standard" and usually require a commuted sum for ongoing maintenance.

Grazing and Fishing Rights

Grazing of Animals

The only grazing on Council controlled areas is that relating to Northam Burrows.

The  Burrows is Common land and still actively grazed by the 'Potwallopers' of the ancient manor of Northam .  The rights of common are to graze 1200 sheep and 100 horses  plus the right to "air and exercise" which is taken as the right of pedestrian access.  In the summer months and holiday season there is a toll charge for the passage of vehicles onto the common.

For further information, please refer to our Northam Burrows Pages


The Council does not provide facilities for fishing from any of it's riverbank or foreshore land.  Fishing Licences or 'Rod Licences' are issued by the Environment Agency, details are available online at The Environment Agency Website