Services A to Z
Text Size
Text size: normal Text size: large Text size: extra large
In order to use Google Translation, you must first accept widget cookies via Privacy Settings below

In order to use AddThis Toolbar, you must first accept social cookies via Privacy Settings below

Print Friendly and PDF



Alcohol and Entertainment Licences

The law on licensing of alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment is complex. To help applicants understand the law and prepare applications, we have put together some explanatory guidance notes which should answer most of your questions. These can be downloaded by clicking on the icon on the right. Application forms and other documents are available on the relevant web pages below and can also be downloaded. Applicants are advised to read the Council's Statement of Licensing Policy and guidance issued by the Home Office under s.182 of the Act prior to making a formal application. Please be aware that, if you intend to provide live or recorded music on your premises, you may also require a licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS) and from Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL). You can obtain further information on these licences by clicking on the links on the right.

Contact details of the Responsible Authorities for Torridge District can also be downloaded from this page.

  • Section 5 of the Licensing Act requires the licensing authority to prepare and publish a statement of its licensing policy. The authority must review its policy every five years and consult on any changes. You can view and download a copy of our current policy by clicking on the icon on the right.
  • If you wish to hold a one-off or occasional event in England or Wales, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.
  • To sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or late night refreshment, you need a licence from the local authority if you are in England and Wales.
  • To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate from your local authority. In a qualifying club there is technically no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and the money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another. In order to constitute a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003.
  • In order to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol in England and Wales, you will need a Personal Licence issued by the local authority.
  • This page contains details of applications received by the Authority for reviews of premises licences and club premises certificates (CPCs). At any stage after the grant of a premises licence or CPC, a Responsible Authority or any other person may apply for a review of a licence or certificate. The Authority is required by law to advertise the application by displaying a notice at the premises and by publishing information on its website. An application for a review must relate to one or more of the licensing objectives - prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance, protection of children from harm.
  • The Late Night Levy allows licensing authorities to raise a financial contribution from late opening alcohol-licensed premises towards the cost of policing the night time economy. The power was introduced by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 and came into force on 31st October 2012.
  • An Early Morning Restriction Order may be made by a licensing authority to restrict the sale of alcohol in areas where there is evidence of alcohol-related crime and disorder. The power was introduced by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 and came into force on 31st October 2012.
  • The Government has amended the law to exempt certain types of regulated entertainment from the requirement for a licence.
  • We aim to send out a regular newsletter to all licence holders with topical and helpful information about licensing law and practice. This page contains copies of previous newsletters.
  • If you wish to hold a special community event, there are a number of things you will need to consider depending on the nature and size of your event. For example, you may need permission to close local streets in your village for a carnival or you may need to apply for licences to carry out certain activities. You can obtain most of this information by clicking on the website links on this page.