Services A to Z
Text Size
Text size: normal Text size: large Text size: extra large
In order to use Google Translation, you must first accept widget cookies via Privacy Settings below

In order to use AddThis Toolbar, you must first accept social cookies via Privacy Settings below

Print Friendly and PDF



Valuations and Appeals

All non-domestic properties are re-valued every five years by the Valuation Office Agency. The next re-valuation will take place on 1 April 2017.

How is my business valued?

The rateable value of your property broadly represents the yearly rent the property could have been let for on the open market on a particular date. For the current valuation list, which came into effect on 1 April 2010, the date used was 1 April 2008.

The Valuation Office Agency sets the rateable value of a property and maintains the Valuation List. Torridge Council is responsible for issuing rates bills, collecting the rates and administering any discounts or exemptions that ratepayers are entitled to claim.

Your rateable value may change if any physical changes are made to your property, for example, building or demolishing an extension. The council has a duty to notify the Valuation Office Agency of any newly built, extended, demolished or otherwise altered non-domestic properties that come to our attention. You should notify the  business rates team of any changes as soon as they happen.

How do I appeal against my Rateable Value?

You may appeal against the rateable value of your property if you think it is incorrect. This might be due to a material change in the property's circumstances, for example;

  •  a change in its physical state or use
  •  a physical change in the locality
  •  a change in the use of a neighbouring property

An appeal to the Valuation Office Agency against a rateable value begins with a proposal to alter the rating list. The process is free of charge. Before making an appeal, you can contact the Valuation Office Agency to discuss your rateable value and why you want to appeal against it. They may be able to resolve things without you needing to follow the formal procedure.

You may appeal against the rateable value that applies from 1 April 2010 at any time before 31 March 2015, although there are limits on the backdating of appeals.
Having an outstanding appeal against your rateable value is not accepted by Magistrates' Courts as grounds for withholding payment so you should continue to make payments on your current bill until you receive a revised bill.

If your appeal is successful any overpaid rates will be refunded.
To view the current rating list or to make an appeal against an entry in the list, you may contact the Valuation Office Agency by telephone on 03000 501 501 or on the VOA website

You can request an estimate of the potential rateable value which may apply to a newly built property (that has not yet been assessed) by sending an email to

The address for the Valuation Office that covers the Torridge district is:

The Valuation Office Agency

Non-Domestic Rates South West

2nd Floor Temple Quay House

The Square

Temple Quay



Advice and guidance can also be found on the Valuation Tribunal Website