Services A to Z
Text Size
Text size: normal Text size: large Text size: extra large
In order to use Google Translation, you must first accept widget cookies via Privacy Settings below

In order to use AddThis Toolbar, you must first accept social cookies via Privacy Settings below

Print Friendly and PDF



Housing Benefits

Housing benefit is a state benefit to help you to pay your rent if you are on a low income.

You cannot claim housing benefit if you live with and have to pay rent to a close relative or in-law, such as a parent; step-parent; son; daughter; step-son; step-daughter or their partner.

Depending on your income and family circumstance you could qualify to have up to 100% of your rent paid.

You may be receiving;

* Income support / JSA(IB) / Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
* Pension Credits
* Receiving other state benefits
* Self-employed
* Working and on low earnings
* Working part-time

The amount of benefit you may qualify for will depend on;

* Your income
* Your capital
* The people living in your household
* Your personal circumstances
* The amount of rent you have to pay

Your benefit will be paid directly to you, unless you are likely to have difficulty in paying your rent.  We will normally pay you every two weeks in arrears, direct into your bank account.  If you are considered to be vulnerable or are a Housing Association tenant, we can make payments to your landlord.  We normally pay your landlord every four weeks in arrears. 

How do I claim?

If you claim Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will give you a form for you to claim Housing Benefit.  If you claim Pension Credit, the pension service will give you this form.   Fill in the form and send it back to the DWP straight away.  They will send the form on to us with proof of your Income Support / Job Seeker's Allowance (income-based) or Employment and Support Allowance claim.

If you have not claimed Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Employment and Support Allowance but you are on a low income you can still claim housing benefit.  You will need to fill in a benefits application form, either by downloading and printing the pdf here, or by requesting an application form. 

If you require any further information or require an application form then please contact the benefits team.