Personal Licences ... more information

In order to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol in England and Wales, you will need a Personal Licence issued by the local authority.

Eligibility Criteria

To apply for a Personal Licence you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over
  • have a licensing qualification (the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, level 2)
  • not have a current conviction for 'relevant offence' as defined in schedule 4 of the Act, and
  • not have forfeited a Personal Licence in the previous five years.

Target completion period: we will aim to issue your licence within 4 working days from determination of your application.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the relevant legislation for this licence.

Application Evaluation Process

You must make your application to the licensing authority in whose area you are ordinarily resident i.e. if you live in the Torridge area, you must apply to Torridge District Council.

The authority which issues your Personal Licence will remain responsible for its  administration.

Applications must  be made on the prescribed form and be accompanied by a declaration and disclosure of any convictions.  You will also need to provide a basic criminal disclosure from Disclosure Scotland or the results a subject access search of the Police National Computer (commonly known as a PNC check).  You must also provide two colour passport photographs, one of which must be endorsed on the back by a person of standing within the community.

See fees and charges at http://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/12721/Financial-Services-Publications

If you have a conviction for a relevant offence, the licensing authority is required to notify the police.  The police have the right to object to your application.  If an objection is received from the police, the licensing authority will hold a hearing to determine the application.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online below if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details provided.

Applicant Appeal

Please contact us in the first place.

If your application is refused you may appeal to the magistrates' court.  An appeal must be made within 21 days of notification of the decision.

Licence Holder Appeal

Please contact us in the first place.

If an application to renew a licence is refused you may appeal to the magistrates' court.  An appeal must be made within 21 days of notification of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

There is no provision in the legislation for complaints against a Personal Licence holder.  If you have cause for complaint about a particular individual, you should put your complaint in writing to the Environmental Health and Community Safety Manager, Bridge Buildings, Bideford EX39 2HT.

Renewing your Personal Licence

Following the implementation of the Deregulation Act 2015, the requirement to renew personal licences was abolished with effect from 1 April 2015.

Whilst licences have previously been issued with expiry dates, these are now irrelevant. Personal licences now last indefinitely and there is no need to renew a personal licence unless you change your name and/or address.

Licence Updates

If you have changed your name or address and require an updated licence, or if you have a lost or stolen licence and need a copy, please apply to the council using the form in the "related downloads" with the accompanying fee (see fees and charges at http://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/12721/Financial-Services-Publications)

Additionally, there is a fee if you want to gain a licence without an expiry date shown on it, or if you wish to update your photograph. Any new photograph will need to satisfy the requirements contained in the guidance notes.

Trade Associations

British Institute of Innkeeping